Some days back I made a switch from Ubuntu workstation to MacBook one. After spending 13 years on Ubuntu I decided to try something new. You never know what’s out there unless you give it a try. So, when my company asked my about workstation I’d prefer, I opted for MacBook Pro 2015.
You already probably know a lot about Apple products, so without repeating that, I’ll just briefly describe my experience using MacBook:
- Experience of using Apple products is really fantastic. We already knew that. Starting with lightweight hardware and the software that makes everything running smoothly.
- If you’re coming from Linux and you’re a developer, you’ll have no big issues switching to Mac, since they’re both Unix based.
- I especially like compact size, retina display and rich set of gestures you can perform on the trackpad.
- It has a set of predefined defaults, which you can change at any point to fit your needs.
- The only issue I came across is getting used to presence of Command key. Having Control and Command keys suddenly caused a big frustration at the beginning (especially using Intellij IDEA was very painful). But, like any other transition, muscle memory will be rebuilt as I use it.
I understand that prices you’re paying for Apple products are quite high, but now, as I use both IPhone and Macbook Pro – I have the feeling why is that so.
I suggest anyone having a chance to get one of Macs to give it a try and get some extraordinary user experience.
Stay tuned and don’t forget to subscribe to get some more news from Software engineering world!